Tortillas!

I found a recipe on Facebook a few weeks ago for homemade tortillas.  I tried them last week and they were a success.  In my ever so subtle quest to become healthier, I attempted to make them with whole wheat flour.  The recipe is as follows:
3 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1/3 cup oil
1 cup warm water

Add dry ingredients and give a quick stir, then add the liquids.  As soon as it forms a ball or looks mixed, form 1.5-2" balls and roll them out with a rolling pin (or get a tortilla press from one of your favorite kitchen retailers).  Set your frying pan or cast iron griddle (ungreased!) on med (5-6) and cook on the first side until it begins to bubble. Flip it over for about 10-15 seconds and then flip again to make sure it looks done and ¡Olè! you have yourself some tortillas. Yields approx 12-14 tortillas depending on the size you make 'em.

We had carne asada on Sunday with the white and they were AMAZE BALLS with some salsa and re-fried beans.   The white tortillas I made last Sunday kept in the fridge until Wednesday night and probably would've lasted a bit longer but... shhhhh... I ate 'em all!  The wheat variety didn't stick together or roll out as evenly, so maybe do half-half white/wheat; however, the wheat ones taste so much better  I also used olive oil with the wheat and canola with the white, so maybe that was the difference.  Either way I am going to try to make one batch a week and use that as a snack at work to keep me from shopping the dreaded vending machine; did you know they take debit cards now?  Even though I hardly ever carry any cash those Hostess cupcakes and cherry turnovers are but a swipe away. #satan.  Check out the pics below and give 'em a go.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DIY Storage Bed

It's gonna be a boy!

Zucchini Boats